(Picture: Santa Cruz, California by Kyla Alexandre)
Let me tell you something, you gotta fake it till you make it. Now, I have to give a disclaimer because there is a certain extent in which you can get away with faking something and actually seeing results. If you are in a position where it does a lot of harm, please seek help in a different form. If you need to talk, you can reach me on any of GetAloha’s social media or email. You’re probably asking yourself “What is she going to tell me to fake?” My answer is: positivity.
I read an article in my anthropology class that talked about people faking confidence and/or happiness led to them actually feeling happier/more confident. This is something that I have had to do a lot of in the past few weeks. I am surrounded by a lot of stress, so the little, negative parts of my day take a huge toll on how I feel, and as a person who promotes positivity that is not very good. So for this past week, I have done everything I can to fake it and it has its perks. I have tried to wake up every morning and tell myself “Today is going to be a great day” and throughout the day I reassure myself a few times. I try to walk with a little pep in my step and it works. I go about my day feeling more confident and assured. The act of smiling, even if it is forced, boosts your happy chemicals. It is weird how it works, but it does.
Since we are on the topic, here are some other tips and tricks to enhancing your positivity:
- Take time in your morning to meditate or do yoga to balance and soothe your thoughts
- Download the positivity app called eternal sunshine for daily notifications of positivity it’s on Apple and Google Play
- Find music that makes you happy, so while listening you can let the positive happy vibes flow
- Every night, write down your thoughts. If you can’t think of anything to clear your mind, list all of the positives that happened in your day, week, month, or year.
- Set aside time to appreciate and acknowledge all of the people around you and all of the good you are surrounded with
- Schedule a bit of time for yourself each week to catch up with yourself and make sure you are all good
- And… look at yourself in a mirror and smile. Smile that beautiful smile of yours and let your brightness shine over the world around you. (Yes, that was cheesy but do it. And while you’re at it, take a few deep breaths too.)
I will say it does not always work. Whenever everything gets piles up, it gets harder to fake it, I can’t help but break down. It happens and that is okay too. It is okay to not be put together all of the time, it’s okay it not have it all together, but if you are down in the dumps all of the time, I recommend trying what you can to fix it.
I hope you are feeling a bit more positive and when you do, share it with a friend. Don’t forget to stay vibin!